Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Monkeying Around

Today Caleb rediscovered his monkey slippers which he rejected wearing when I first bought them months ago.  Now that they are officially too small he loves to wear them!  Here they are making their second appearance of the day in combination with a fresh diaper - a fantastic fashion statement by our wild man!


On the move

Caleb loves the sound the slippers make as he runs full speed across the tile

Trying to make a fast escape

Caleb was sick last week and is finally starting to be back to his usual self (as evidenced by the pictures above).  He started running around 101 fever on Wednesday afternoon and by 11pm that night it spiked at 103.  After we comforted him and helped him cool off Caleb went back to sleep.  I was worried about him -- this is the first time he's ever had a fever like that!  What a blessing that our son has been so incredibly healthy!!  I finally went to bed but was worried for Caleb and couldn't sleep so I was praying for God's protection and healing for him.  There wasn't a sound coming from the baby monitor the whole time I prayed.

I eventually fell asleep, only to wake up a few minutes later to a wide-awake Caleb who was talking 100 miles per hour!  After listening to him talk for awhile and not go back to sleep, I went in to change his diaper and rock him.  Caleb continued to talk, and talk, and talk!  I had prayed for God to let me know Caleb was going to be ok - and He answered quite quickly by having Caleb talk until 2am!!  He sang about everyone in his family and how they loved him, how each person's car loved him (Mama's car, Daddy's truck, Granny's car, Bob Bob's "racecar", Pop Pop's car etc) and also talked about Jesus a little bit too.  After he exhausted those topics he moved on to Old MacDonald's Farm. I tried to tell him that everyone in the family was night night, all the cars were night night and then that the farm and its animals were asleep too.  He sat quietly for awhile and pondered all of that and eventually replied, "E-I-E-I-Off".  He cracks me up!

We kept Caleb on Tylenol/Motrin from Wednesday afternoon until Friday night.  Luckily he was still his active and playful self and didn't have any other strong symptoms of being sick.  I did notice that he was much more affectionate and wanted to be held more than normal.  Although I would never wish for Caleb to be sick, I certainly enjoyed some snuggle time with my normally active little boy!  Caleb woke up Saturday morning with no fever and has stayed that way.  He still seems a little run down at times and is taking longer naps, but overall he's healthy again!

Caleb is talking ALL THE TIME and saying so many new words each day.  Some of the new ones I can think of are bubbles, racecar, vet, doctor, cute, Frankie (a playgroup friend), juice... the list goes on and on.  He typically speaks in 3-5 word sentences and told me a few days ago "Bob Bob Granny Kai Iss house" which was his way of reminding himself that I told him that Bob Bob and Granny went to visit Malikai and Isabella.

Caleb also tries to narrate episodes of Handy Manny as he watches, announcing to me when Manny gets in out of his 'red truck', if something goes up or down on the show, etc.  He is also fond of revisiting things that have happened weeks before - like talking to me today about how 'Handy Manny Daddy' installed a 'new fan' in our bathroom, that Daddy went 'up up up' on the ladder and we said 'bye fan!' to the old fan.  Of course this all comes out as "Meeenga [Manny] Dada, new fan up up up up! Bye fan!" so only I know what in the world he is talking about!  Another daily topic is which animals we saw at the pet store weeks ago.  He is really torn up about the fact that there were 'no cats' and sometimes as we drive down the road not saying anything he'll suddenly say sadly, 'no cats.'

This post is a little random but I really want to document all the funny little things about our sweet boy- when he's sick, and the silly things he says and does.  Bryan and I can't get over how fun - and sometimes challenging! - this stage is with our Caleb.

2 comments:

Carol M said...

Kai and "Iss" are spending the night with us tonight...sure wish Caleb was here, too! By the way, Granny and her car DO love Caleb very much!

Unknown said...

Caleb, I'm glad that you're feeling better. I like your monkey slippers.

Gran Jan needs to get a car that you can remember.

Love and kisses.